The importance of toning:
Have you ever wondered why toners got so much importance in skincare world since past few years? Nowadays, you will see many brands proposing toners acting on hydration, anti-aging, anti-blemish, moisturizing and many other properties which helps making your skin smooth, supple and beautiful.
What are toners and what do they do?
Toners are watery lotions designed to cleanse the skin, reduce the appearance of open pores and hydrating the skin. Toners are generally used after washing the skin with foam-based cleansers and before moisturizing and putting on make up. Now, there are different varieties of toners targeting different type of skin goals.
The benefits of toning:
Toners are designed to give you specific benefits such as proper cleansing of skin, to help fighting acne problems and removing acne scars, reducing the appearance of open pores, hydrating, slowing down the aging, etc. So the importance of toning for your skin is multiple:
- Toners cleanse the skin: After removing make up and dirt with foam based cleanser, still some dirt residue can remain in the skin. Toner removes all the make up and dirt residue from skin preventing pores from clogging.
- Toners shrink open pores: After cleansing the skin if pores are open, it can fill with dust and microbes which leads to many skin problems most commonly acne. Toners helps close the pores which makes skin healthy and smooth in appearance.
- Maintains pH– Toners are most important in whole skincare routine as they maintain the pH level of skin. Naturally our skin has an acidic ph between 5 to 7. Soap and foam based cleansers are usually alkaline in nature i.e. ph above 7. After cleansing your skin can take lot more time to reach its normal pH level, which can make it dry and dull. Thanks to toners, your skin can reach a normal pH level quickly.
- Moisturizes skin: Toners help to bind the moisture in skin. They prevent skin from drying which generally happens after cleansing with soaps and cleansers.
- Helps premature aging: with proper cleansing and hydrating, toners help in prevention of appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- In grown hair prevention: Toners are very much helpful in preventing grown hairs.
- Evens skin tone: with all the qualities above toners makes your skin tone even.
How to choose my toner?
With hundreds of toners available in the market, you can easily get confused on what to buy so that you can get all the benefits of a good toner. Either you can buy a toner which aims to make your skin good without harsh chemicals or another best way is making a toner at home with the purest ingredients.
Making a toner at home is as easy as winking and benefits a DIY toner can amaze you. As you make it out of raw and purest form of active ingredients, it can give you results which many toners available in market will fail to give. Out of all the ingredients available at home, Green Tea toner is the most effective and easy to make. Green tea toner is amazing in many ways. It feels great on skin, hydrates the skin, reduces appearance of pores, fights bacteria which causes acne, removes access oil from skin and gives you a glowing skin.
Easy steps to do your own toner:
Step 1. Boil ½ cup of water. Pour it into a cup and leave a green tea bag into it for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the tea bag and let it cool down to room temperature.
Step2. Once green tea water is cooled down, mix two tablespoons of rose water to it. Stir to mix.
Step 3. Now add 8-10 drops of tea tree oil or essential oil in it and mix well. Tea tree oil has good antibacterial properties and its aroma gives a sense of relaxation to the skin, though it is completely optional.
Step 4. Transfer to a spray bottle and you are good to go.
How long can I use my toner?
You can use this toner for a month. If anytime before you get foul smell in it, stop using it and make a new one.
Green tea is full of antioxidants as well as anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic properties, which helps to make your skin glowing, even tone and supple. Now that you have mastered the importance of toning and have a great recipe to make an amazing toner at home, do it yourself with one of our amazing green teas!
written by Jyoti Dasila